My life

Buyer Beware at Target

10:00 AM

This is  a tale of a savvy shopper(yours truly) trying to prepare herself a decent cup of coffee at work. 

Here's the backstory:
Someone donated a Keurig on-cup coffee-maker to our department at school. It is phenomenal because everyone always has the coffee flavor that they like, on demand. Your coffee is always hot and ready when you are. We have no more drama about whose turn it was to bring in supplies or brew the pot. Nota bene: I am environmentally conscious and do use a compostable pod for my coffee. 

Buyer Beware at Target

So the other day the dreaded descale coffee machine message appeared (for the 1st time) on the display. There would be no more coffee until addressed: cue the dramatic music riff.

I headed to the Keurig site to find out what to do. My choices were to buy a descaling solution or use vinegar. Normally, I would choose the natural remedy. However, the vinegar instructions stated it took 4 hours; no time for that at work. Time to begin the quest for the magic potion.

bottle of Keuring descaling solution
As usual, I searched Amazon first to see what it would cost. Ooh, it was only $6.75; unfortunately it was an add-on item and there was nothing else I needed to buy that costs $25. I need my coffee STAT!

So on to the Target app which stated it was $6.79, sweet! I’ll willingly pay four cents extra for the convenience of having it immediately. The app even indicated that  I could find it at my local Target in aisle C-41. and that’s where IT was.

My heart sank when I saw the tag on the shelf that indicated it was $13.79.

Confused  I wondered, "what is this? Is this a different item? Is this a different size bottle than what I saw online?"  I browsed some more and found the same bottle on ANOTHER shelf with a price of  $12.99!  I scanned both with the red scanner in the store which confirmed the lower price. I then scanned the bottle with the Target app:

 $ 6.79! 
What is going on?  
I can order it for pick-up in two hours and pay the app price or pay double to get it now.

I’m a busy teacher mamma, I don’t have time for that. This savvy teacher mamma went directly to  customer service. I explained the facts to the young lady in the red shirt. Her take was, "Well,  online  we have to be competitive so our price is going to be different on the shelf  than on the app. However, we will honor the price you have there on your phone." Satisfied, I made my purchase with the app price.

What's the lesson my friends? Shop with your smartphone, double-checking the prices of things that seem overpriced. There is no reason to pay twice as much for an item just because you are on-location.





The tale of Target evolved into a period of indentured servitude to the coffeemaker. The bottle stated it took 30 minutes to descale the machine. Well, it took 30 minutes to soak the machine. Then it took another hour - 12 big cups of water cycled through --which emerged as bright yellow, then changed to chartreuse and was finally clear again on the 10th brew.

I sacrificed my whole preparation period for my colleagues and me to have caffeinated beverages.

We're high school teachers: we need it.
Tweet: Be a savvy shopper at Target, @designdolcezza shares her find: https://ctt.ac/fd4c3+
Alla salute!


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Ciao! I look forward to reading your your message!

Subscribe



Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *