July in France

Surreal

10:30 PM


That's how it feels.

We've been back for a week and a half.

I still can't get over the fact that I have to drive anywhere I need to go, and...
  • And where's the nearest metro and RER train (and my bus to the Louvre)?

  • Why can't I get a smoked salmon sandwich for three bucks?

  • Where's the reasonably priced duck or rabbit?

  • Why can't I get a cheap, yummy crepe or perfect pastry on every corner?

  • Why isn't fresh, delicious Escargot in the shell a hot appetizer at every restaurant (and where's the Badoit mineral water, anyway)?

  • Why are all these people walking around dressed in t-shirts and shorts? (Note: we never wore shorts in Paris, nor did we see any of the French wearing them.)

  • Who are all these ill-bred, poorly trained dogs trying to attack me? (Note: French dogs never barked at me, or even gave me any notice.)

  • How come when I walk around town, I don't see any workers picking up the litter daily from the streets?

  • How come the park isn't lined with flowers?

  • Why are the sidewalks so narrow?

  • And just how can I be sure of the time at night when I can't see the Eiffel Tower sparkling hourly from my terrace?

When we got back, I spent almost three full days getting my project done for the deadline, unpacking, doing laundry and housework, and dreading my return to the classroom. Not an easy nor a happy transition.

Next week, I take another graduate class, then it's two weeks till I'm back teaching....

But the wonderful thing is that our baby will be here in less than two months!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Ciao! I look forward to reading your your message!

Subscribe



Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *